Saturday, March 1, 2014

smoke photography

Smoke photography is nothing but taking picture of the smoke in a dark room with speedlights and flashes and get an abstract type of image in your camera. This is not that easy as you think. This require little bit of hands on experience on your DSLR settings as well as you should master the angles of speed lights.

If you like to have a look at some other photos i took recently please check my photography blog. www.shafisgraphics.blogspot.com . If you would like to know more details on any particular photographs, please let me know. 

Learning photography is tricky. Learning smoke photography is even more tricky.

I will just go through some of the samples I took few months ago. Remember speed light is a must at least one. A black dark back ground is also required. I used my black t shirt in on a chair as a back ground. Well first lets go through the images then i will go through the settings.


The setting I used for this image is f/4, iso 100 and shutter speed 1/100. And i used a flash to iluminate the white smoke. 



OK This is the top view of my simple setup. Now i will explaing the set up step by step.

Step 1 : Arrange the black cloth (I prefer to use black cloth instead of blackboard because its much effective in reducing the reflection) of the far side. Position the camera and the flash as shown. also the thing which you are going to burn in the middle.

Step 2: Camera settings. Put the camera in the manual mode. and set the ISO to 100, Shutter speed 1/100, aperture f minimum (that means maximum opening). Dont forget to connect your SLR with the flash unit.

step 3: Simulate smoke. And click.

step 4: post processing. This s bit tricky. Because the color of smoke will be white and the background will be black. Some time smoke may not be absolute white, but shades of grey. The you have to open the picture in photoshop and then add tint or shade of colours according to your imagination.

Here is some examples. Which i tired my self.














No comments:

You might like this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List